Oh Canada! The land of maple syrup and bacon. This recipe for amazing Canadian pork skewers uses these great Canadian staples and turns them into a delicious barbecued meal! So if you want to celebrate this ‘warm’ Canadian weather by barbecuing, this is a great recipe to try.
There is something so delicious about pork, pineapple, bacon and maple syrup together. And when you add in some vegetables you have the full meal deal. So these pork skewers could be your full supper on a stick. My favorite vegetables to add are red onions and red peppers. But you could definitely add others or omit some depending on your taste. Just do not omit the pineapple as it adds a wonderful freshness and juiciness that is essential to this recipe.
This meal is a great one for the whole family because it adds the fun of eating off of a stick (or skewer). I love my flat metal skewers, but you could also use wooden skewers. Just make sure you soak them before using them so that they do not burn on the barbecue. Kids love it when their food is served in a different way (mine do anyways). And any reason that they get to use their hands to eat instead of a fork is a real win in their books! So if you want to add a little fun to meal time, try out these amazing Canadian pork skewers.
Serving Suggestions for Amazing Canadian Pork Skewers
As I mentioned, these could be your full meal as they have both your protein and your veggies. But sometimes I also like to serve fries for an easy side. Or I will barbecue some little potatoes. If you are a sauce person, I suggest serving these skewers with honey mustard sauce. My kids love a homemade honey mustard sauce with most things, these included.
Canadian Pork Skewers
- 1 ½ lb Pork Loin, cut into 1" cubes
- 3 cloves Garlic, roughly minced
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Maple syrup
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- ¼ tsp Salt
- Fresh Ground Pepper. to taste
- 6-8 Skewers, metal or presoaked wood
- 1 Red Pepper, diced
- 1 Red Onion, diced
- 1 Pineapple, cored and cubed
- 8-10 slices Bacon, chopped into 1" strips
- Combine all of the marinade ingredients together and add the pork cubes. Allow to marinate for at least 1 hour, but for best results marinate overnight.
- Place your pork and skewer ingredients on your metal or wood skewers, alternating the ingredients as you go.
- Place the skewers on your preheated barbecue and cook, rotating as necessary, for about 10-15 minutes or until an internal temperature of the pork reaches at least 145°F.
“So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. If a son asks for bread from any father among you, will he give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent instead of a fish? Or if he asks for an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!”