I love a whole roasted chicken. Not only do you get a delicious meal out of the meat, but you also get to make a healthy stock out of the carcass. But here we will be discussing the former – the delicious dry brined whole chicken. If you want a juicy chicken, I highly suggest dry brining it! It takes a little more work and some preplanning. But it is so worth it because you always end up with a flavorful and juicy chicken.
This dry brine mixture is a tasty blend of salt, garlic, rosemary, thyme, sage, sugar, smoked paprika and the zest of a lime. The lime taste really comes through in the end product. So if you do not care for the taste of lime, I would suggest using the zest of a citrus you do like. Such as an orange or a lemon. The citrus is a must as it adds a delicious freshness to the chicken. So please do not not omit it all together.
To allow the chicken to benefit from the brine, I suggest brining it overnight. And for the crispiest skin it is imperative to leave the chicken uncovered in the fridge. It seems like a weird thing to do. But this allows the skin to dry out a little bit resulting in a delectably crispy skin. (I could eat crispy chicken skin all day – yum!).
Serving Suggestions for a Dry Brined Whole Chicken
When serving this tasty and fresh dry brined whole chicken, I suggest serving with garlic mashed potatoes and gravy. I would also add a green vegetable such as steamed broccoli or a side salad.
Dry Brined Whole Roasted Chicken
- 4 lb Whole Chicken
- 2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 ½ tsp Lime Zest
- 1 tsp Dried Rosemary
- 1 tsp White Sugar
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- ½ tsp Dried Thyme
- ¼ tsp Ground Sage
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- Mix all of your seasonings together for the dry brine.
- Pat the chicken dry. Then rub all of dry brine ingredients onto the chicken. Make sure to get under the skin on the breast as well.
- Place the chicken in the fridge uncovered (this is imperative for the crispy skin) overnight.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 400°F. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes, then decrease the oven temperature to 325°F. Continue to cook for about 40 minutes or until the internal temperature (of the thickest part of the chicken) is at least 165°.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before carving.
- Carve and serve!
“A Psalm of David. The earth is the Lord’s and all its fullness, the world and those who dwell therein. For He has founded it upon the seas, and established it upon the waters.”