Soup has always been a Sunday dinner staple around our table. Especially when having company over. This easy creamy ham and vegetable soup makes the perfect throw together meal. So if you are looking for a great soup to serve on a cool Sunday for your family and guests, you have come to the right place.
I love to make this soup with leftovers from my whiskey molasses glazed ham. Soup is always the perfect solution for using up leftovers! So if you have any leftover ham from a meal, use it up in this easy creamy ham and vegetable soup. But if you do not, don’t worry – it tastes just as great with chunks of precooked store bought ham.
When serving this soup, try it with a delicious slice of fresh bread, biscuits or cottage cheese buns. And for a more hearty meal, serve with all of the sandwich fixings. Usually, soup and custom sandwiches is my go to for a Sunday supper. So whip up this soup and delight in the warmth and comfort this recipe will bring.
Easy Creamy Ham and Vegetable Soup
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 1 medium Onion, diced
- 1 large Carrot, diced
- 1 stalk Celery, chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 cups Cauliflower, chopped
- 1 cup Broccoli, chopped
- 2 cups Ham, diced
- 6 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 1 ½ cups Sharp Cheddar, grated
- ¼ cup Parmesan, grated
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery and the garlic. Saute for 5 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Add the cauliflower and broccoli and saute for another 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the ham and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for at least 10 minutes.
- While stirring, add in the heavy cream and simmer for an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
- Again, while stirring, add the cheddar and parmesan cheese a little bit at a time to avoid clumps.
- Serve with extra cheese on top if desired.
“Cause me to hear Your lovingkindness in the morning, for in You do I trust; cause me to know the way in which I should walk, for I lift up my soul to You. Deliver me, O LORD, from my enemies; in You I take shelter. Teach me to do Your will, for You are my God; Your Spirit is good. Lead me in the land of uprightness. Revive me, O LORD, for Your name’s sake! For Your righteousness’ sake bring my soul out of trouble.”