I love carbs, but I also love delicious low carb versions of the classics. Because I can enjoy them more often without feeling guilty. So if you are living a low carb life, or just wanting a lighter version of your favorites then this recipe for low carb chicken enchiladas is for you!
My family does find this recipe a little bit spicy. But it is not anything that a good dollop of sour cream can’t fix. But if you do not do spice very well, then I recommend using less green chilies and a non-spicy cheese mix. And ensure that the enchilada sauce that you use is mild. But if you like more spice then I recommend a spicier enchilada sauce. This recipe is easy to fix to ensure that the spice level that you want is met. So adjust as necessary.
These low carb chicken enchiladas do take a little bit of time to put together because you have to prepare the cabbage and roll them before baking. But it is so worth it! Of course, if you do not have the time or energy to do the rolling you don’t have to. I suggest making a lazy enchilada casserole instead. Start with a layer of cabbage on the bottom then layer in the same order as the enchilada rolls. Then finish with another layer of cabbage, the remaining enchilada sauce and cheese. You will bake for the same amount of time as the rolled enchiladas. Both options are great.
If you are serving these to individuals that do not need to eat low carb, such as your children, I suggest having a side of tortilla chips. Your kids will love it and you can still live your wonderful low carb life or low carb once a week supper!
Low Carb Chicken Enchiladas
- 8 Cabbage Leaves
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- ½ medium Onion, diced
- 1 can Chopped Green Chilies
- 1 pound Ground Chicken
- ½ Tbsp Taco Seasoning
- 1 bottle Enchilada Sauce (215mL)
- 1 can Refried Beans
- 1 bag Tex Mex Cheese Blend (320g)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Prepare a 9 x 13 pan.
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and place two cabbage leaves in at a time for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove onto paper towel and repeat until all of the cabbage leaves are soft.
- In a pan over medium heat, melt butter. Add the onions and the green chilies. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the ground chicken and the taco seasoning and brown. Remove from heat.
- Place the cabbage leaves on a cutting board. Fill each leaf with refried beans, ground chicken, 1 tablespoon enchilada sauce, and some cheese. Roll up each leaf and place in the prepared pan. Top with remaining sauce and cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes.
“For as the heavens are high above the earth, so great is His mercy toward those who fear Him. As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us.”